The Sherman House Museum in Lancaster, Ohio is the birthplace of General William Tecumseh Sherman, his younger brother U.S. Senator John Sherman and home of the remarkable Sherman family. The Sherman House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Civil War Preservation Trail and has been a memorial to the family since 1951. It, along with Georgian Museum, is owned and operated by the Fairfield County Heritage Association.
The original frame home built in 1811 consists of a parlor/dining room, kitchen, master bedroom and children's bedroom. The Sherman family added onto the house in 1816, including a parlor and study for (father) Judge Charles Sherman. All of these rooms have been restored to look as they would have when the Sherman's lived here. A brick front was added to the house in 1870 and this victorian parlor is furnished almost completely with furniture owned by the General and Ellen Sherman when they lived in New York City after his retirement. It includes a parlor set originally owned by General Ulysses S. and Julia Grant. One upstairs bedroom houses family memorabilia, another is a re-creation of General Sherman's Civil War field tent which contains several items that he used during the war and a sound and light presentation depicting his passion for the Union. The last room you will visit houses an excellent exhibit of Civil War artifacts, guns and GAR memorabilia.